Ford Mondeo ST Forum banner

Cigarette Lighter Colour Change

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sllca 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Iv had the intention of chaning most of my interior lights from the shocking green to a nice blue so with things already in the pipe line i decided id do the cigarette lighter first.

Firstly onto ebay to find one in blue
Glasses Vision care Goggles Sunglasses Eye glass accessory
Camera accessory Gas Engineering Machine Electric blue
Body jewelry Musical instrument Art Audio equipment Gadget

having previously removed the ashtry to inspect th cigarette lighter there is 2 orange connectors one to power the cig lighters 12v and a seperate connector to power the bulb.

when fitting the blue surround has to go in first followed by the lighter barrel. the portion of the blue surround that holds the bulb should be hard up against the clear plastic of the ashtry (final pic will make sense)

knowing this i seperated the surround from the barrel. i used an awl to prise away the two clips on the surround from inside the barrel and then prised it further with a butter knife
Drinkware Fluid Finger Gas Electric blue
Hand Household hardware Finger Thumb Gas
Rectangle Gas Electric blue Plastic Soil

you can replace the clear bulb and it will be good enough but i wanted it to really stand out so i swapped mine for LED bulb again from ebay
Automotive tire Textile Audio equipment Font Rectangle
Hand Nail Gesture Finger Thumb

when it came to seperating the old cigarette light from the ashtray IT WAS NOT EASY and i did some rather unsavoury things to get it off! luckily no injury was caused. on removal i noticed that there was a size difference
Hand Tin Drinkware Finger Cosmetics
Ruler Finger Office ruler Measuring instrument Thumb
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Household hardware
Hand Ruler Wood Tape measure Finger

this wasnt so drastic that the new one wouldnt fit i just applied 2 small dots of good glue when fit to stop it moving in the recess.

the red and black wires need to have connectors attached the red came pre done but the black needed one so i did this with left overs from when i did the auto-fold mod.
Finger Circuit component Thumb Jewellery Cable
Nail Thumb Mixture Office supplies Recreation

when fitting back in the car the blue surround goes first then insert the barrel and then attach the connectors underneath with the black wire screwed into the bottom
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Wrist

and then she's all done
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Grille Automotive exterior

iv used cheap parts at my own peril, if the barrels had been the same size id of stuck with the original ford item but unfortunately i couldnt i may change at a later date for peace of mine if i can find a correct size surround in blue.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Iv had the intention of chaning most of my interior lights from the shocking green to a nice blue so with things already in the pipe line i decided id do the cigarette lighter first.

Firstly onto ebay to find one in blue
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (1).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (2).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (3).JPG

having previously removed the ashtry to inspect th cigarette lighter there is 2 orange connectors one to power the cig lighters 12v and a seperate connector to power the bulb.

when fitting the blue surround has to go in first followed by the lighter barrel. the portion of the blue surround that holds the bulb should be hard up against the clear plastic of the ashtry (final pic will make sense)

knowing this i seperated the surround from the barrel. i used an awl to prise away the two clips on the surround from inside the barrel and then prised it further with a butter knife
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (4).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (5).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (6).JPG

you can replace the clear bulb and it will be good enough but i wanted it to really stand out so i swapped mine for LED bulb again from ebay
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (7).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (12).JPG

when it came to seperating the old cigarette light from the ashtray IT WAS NOT EASY and i did some rather unsavoury things to get it off! luckily no injury was caused. on removal i noticed that there was a size difference
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 ( 8).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (9).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (10).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (11).JPG
this wasnt so drastic that the new one wouldnt fit i just applied 2 small dots of good glue when fit to stop it moving in the recess.

the red and black wires need to have connectors attached the red came pre done but the black needed one so i did this with left overs from when i did the auto-fold mod.
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (14).JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (15).JPG

when fitting back in the car the blue surround goes first then insert the barrel and then attach the connectors underneath with the black wire screwed into the bottom
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (16).JPG

and then she's all done
attachicon.gif
IMG_1 (17).JPG

iv used cheap parts at my own peril, if the barrels had been the same size id of stuck with the original ford item but unfortunately i couldnt i may change at a later date for peace of mine if i can find a correct size surround in blue.
Great tutorial great pics helped me no end. Thank You James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.