Ford Mondeo ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if in the right topic.

Looking for some help/advice. Done some performance upgrades and been on a rolling road before and after at AMD in Essex and the results are far from expected. Below is the timeline;

Installed pipercross panel filter, rolling road result- 225HP.
Milltek catback exhaust fitted, result- 226HP.
AMD custom remap, result- 238HP.

Obviously it the exhaust that concerns me the most, Milltek quote 8-10% gains, mine works out at 0.4%. The 12HP gained from the map is exactly as AMD quote, and the car is definitely smoother with a more even power throughout the rev range.

Has anybody else had similarly poor gains from the Milltek? Starting to think I've wasted my money.

·
The Breakfast Dominator
2,580 Posts
May have not been an accurate reading as variablesoon may have changed. For instance the humidity in the air can affect it. Wouldn't worry about figures too much with the mondeo as that's not what it's about. More to do with how it drives. Figures will just cloud your enjoyment

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
There are so many variables to take into account that very accurate readings are hard to get for Joe Public.

NA's are very hard to tune.

As for manufacturer's figures, well look at it this way, would you sell more exhausts that give a 10-12% gain, or one that gives a 0.5% gain?

How clever have the AMD tuners been is another question.

Rolling road it and give you a disappointing figure and then put their map on a give you a healthy figure, look good don't they AMD, just saying :(

At the end of the day, the final figure is what I would expect from the mods you have and regardless of whose map, exhaust and filter you use, you won't get much more.

If you want bigger gains, sell the car and buy something with a Turbo :(

·
I am someone
12,378 Posts
In all honesty 238 is a respectable 'final' figure. Remember, the 220 is a N/A engine, power increases will not be massive.

One of our other members did all the same stuff as you and got a power figure of 236 bhp (using a Dreamscience map)

People talk a lot about 250-260 bhp on a 220 but, quite frankly, that isn't possible without a serious investment of cash.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure if in the right topic.

Looking for some help/advice. Done some performance upgrades and been on a rolling road before and after at AMD in Essex and the results are far from expected. Below is the timeline;

Installed pipercross panel filter, rolling road result- 225HP.
Milltek catback exhaust fitted, result- 226HP.
AMD custom remap, result- 238HP.

Obviously it the exhaust that concerns me the most, Milltek quote 8-10% gains, mine works out at 0.4%. The 12HP gained from the map is exactly as AMD quote, and the car is definitely smoother with a more even power throughout the rev range.

Has anybody else had similarly poor gains from the Milltek? Starting to think I've wasted my money.
bare in mind you're car won't of had 220 when u started as they loose power over the years ......

·
Craig the 2nd
1,800 Posts
Could de-catting free up a few more although could be a pain at mot time if you have to re fit to get a pass? And surely if it feels smoother and pulls better through the Rev range then it's turned out well as Bhp chasing isn't everything just to get numbers as ive been in a few big ish power cars that are turbo but drive like **** when there not on boost and realy the main power is not very useful for a daily road car

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks guys, you've really put my mind to rest, guess I've just been lured by all the people claiming 250 to 260.
Like some of you have said, it's more about the way that car drives not the speed of it. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Although made from poxy materials, the standard 220 exhaust is actually quite free flowing, so there's not much room for maneuver when swapping to an aftermarket item. I know the JP system doesn't claim any power gains over standard, just longevity and a nicer sound.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
One thing I noticed was the exhaust helped alot
Mostly in the weight department
The old exhaust was long past it

Don't believe the facebookers claiming the 250 on those mods
Manifolds can help. But even then can be a struggle
The ecu is restrictive and a standalone is probably the best step anyone could make so they can map the car hoe they want it to

1 - 14 of 14 Posts