Ford Mondeo ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am new to this site and have just bought a Mondeo ST TDCI its on a 54 plate and so far very pleased with it, I bought it slightly cheeper due to a few small problems with it first on being the rear bumper,

It has come away from the side, the bumper is still firmly attached but is not flush witht he body work I thought it would just be a matter of replacing the clip but on closer look it does not have removable clips and the clip is moulded in the the top ridge of the bumper and this has broken, can this be fixed or is it a new back bumper?? if it can be fixed were is the best place to get it done.

Also I have a small crack in the front bumper and need to get this repaired has anyone used one of these mobile bumper repair companys and if so how good was the repair

Thanks

Gareth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all I am new to this site and have just bought a Mondeo ST TDCI its on a 54 plate and so far very pleased with it, I bought it slightly cheeper due to a few small problems with it first on being the rear bumper,

It has come away from the side, the bumper is still firmly attached but is not flush witht he body work I thought it would just be a matter of replacing the clip but on closer look it does not have removable clips and the clip is moulded in the the top ridge of the bumper and this has broken, can this be fixed or is it a new back bumper?? if it can be fixed were is the best place to get it done.

Also I have a small crack in the front bumper and need to get this repaired has anyone used one of these mobile bumper repair companys and if so how good was the repair

Thanks

Gareth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i had the same problem and despite taking it to a few body shops they all said they could not repair it (looks like a common fault on the ST), fortunately someone ran up the back of me so got a new bumper off insurance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i just bought one last week and guess what? it has the exact same problem, i'm planning to remove the bumper and glue in some sort of reinforced clip which should hold it in place, looks an easy repair, i'll let you's know how i get on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorted, 5 hrs, bumper good as new, if not better

Removed the bumper, cut out broken bits, glued in new tougher plastic (with small lip on it) with 2 part adhesive, leave to set for 1 hr, drill new slots, wrap inside of slot with a very small, thin piece of aluminium to add extra reinforcement, put bumper back on and stand back and admire

If anyone doesn't want to do it themselves, i'm sure i could do it for them, would need car for aprox 5 hrs, cost £120
Stronger and much cheaper than buying a new bumper and getting it painted

·
Registered
7 Posts

Removed the bumper, cut out broken bits, glued in new tougher plastic (with small lip on it) with 2 part adhesive, leave to set for 1 hr, drill new slots, wrap inside of slot with a very small, thin piece of aluminium to add extra reinforcement, put bumper back on and stand back and admire

If anyone doesn't want to do it themselves, i'm sure i could do it for them, would need car for aprox 5 hrs, cost £120
For sure this is a well known problem,and Ford seem to be in denial(not surprising)there is a service bulletin that you can quote which states that if the car's symptoms are a "sagging bumper"then the bumper should be replaced foc.HOWEVER ! the remedy,which are 2 foam blocks(Ford items)that provide the support needed,will not be fitted unless YOU ask & pay for them.So the same will happen again soon enough!.
Fantastic motor slightly spoiled by this design fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts

For sure this is a well known problem,and Ford seem to be in denial(not surprising)there is a service bulletin that you can quote which states that if the car's symptoms are a "sagging bumper"then the bumper should be replaced foc.HOWEVER ! the remedy,which are 2 foam blocks(Ford items)that provide the support needed,will not be fitted unless YOU ask & pay for them.So the same will happen again soon enough!.
Fantastic motor slightly spoiled by this design fault.

[/quote]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,i know this is a fairly old post but i have the same problem with my bumper and so does a friend of mine, luckily i work at a laser cutting place and next weekend the bumper is coming off so that i can fit park sensors, at the same time im measuring up for a laser cut (steel) strengthening piece for both sides of bumper, i reckon its gonna cost about £5 for the bits, will post a how to once i have done it, and then if anyone is interested maybe i can supply them with the parts needed? let me know if anyone is interested, beats the **** out of going to frauds to be ripped off!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
MrGazmond,

Would defo be interested in the new parts, I'm just in debate with Ford about then replacing the faulty ones.... When I say debate, I've sent a querie and they are ignoring me!!

There's also a plastic support at the top in the middle of the bumper, just underneath the boot sill. Would you think about replacing that, because on mine thats also faulty.

Post us some pic's so we know what your replacing...

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rich,

Can you post pictures of which support you are talking about, when i get my bumper off i will have a look at it and see if it something that can be fabricated, have had a discussion at work today and we have decided to use stainless steel when the parts are cut, not for any cosmetic reasons but purely for the fact that it doesnt rust anywhere nearly as bad as mild steel. I will try and find time during the next week toget some bits measured up for prototype parts

Gaz
MrGazmond,

Would defo be interested in the new parts, I'm just in debate with Ford about then replacing the faulty ones.... When I say debate, I've sent a querie and they are ignoring me!!

There's also a plastic support at the top in the middle of the bumper, just underneath the boot sill. Would you think about replacing that, because on mine thats also faulty.

Post us some pic's so we know what your replacing...

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Rich,

Not been able to get the bumper off as yet due to doing my back in and messing around selling my old car! Hopefully should be sorted by the weekend, btw, how many miles to the gallon do you get from that?? lol
Gaz,

How did the molds work out. I will post a picture of all the supports possibly tomorrow...

Sorry about the late reply been busy with this.... View attachment 161

Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a quick update, have had the bumper off and now have a template for the parts needed, will be getting them drawn and cut this week hopefully, should then be able to pop the bumper off again and fit them to see if they are right, will keep u posted as to progress....

Gaz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Gaz,

Only just bought my ST last Friday and totally love it but sadly also found that I have a serious case of rear bumper sag!

I have been trawling through the net trying to find a potential worth while fix and I have to say that yours does sound promising. I can't believe that Ford don't even supply the foam inserts anymore.

In short, if you do have any luck, I will certainly be interested.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers

Gav

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all, there seems to be some confusion here, im not addressing the bumper sag at the moment altho i do have a couple of ideas about that which doesnt resort to paying ford £100 for 2 bits of 50p foam which seem to be non existent at the mo from what i can make out on other forums, im currently working on a fix for the sides of the rear bumper which seem to pop out because of the slots in the top of the bumper breaking out, i have template parts cut for that at the mo in mild steel just to make sure they are the correct shape and size, as soo as i get chance i will pull my bumper off again and make sure that the fit is spot on and then get them cut in stainless steel, am looking at putting a kit together which will include 2 laser cut infill parts, epoxy to strengthen the bond and rivets, as soon as im happy with the fit etc i will get mine done and will post a how to including pictures so you will all know whats involved, as for the bumper sag i am into a fix at the mo, but thats gonna have to wait until i can get my hands on my mates car and get his bumper off as mine doesnt seem to sag but his is really bad.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Gaz,

I have managed to get my hands on a diagram of the rear bumper set up...

Slope Naval architecture Rectangle Automotive lighting Font

The bit's that look faulty with mine are,

'6' - I believe this is the part you are fabricating.
'11' - Both pins have broken
'10' - When you remove the rubber seale on the boot lip you can see this has strained.

I have not been able to remove the bumper as the screws underneath have seized and will require cutting off, not a big job, but time consuming...

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rich. Are you talking about the 4 screws in a line across the bottom of the bumper at the back? If you are you don't need to undo those, if you look further under you will see 2 10mm bolts, undo those and the look for 2 of what look like holes further toward the back of the car, they have strange pressed nuts inside, use a pair of pliers to undo those and the bottom of the bumper Is then free, let me know how you get on. You say the pins have broken off on yours? Are they the pins that go into the slots on the side of the bumper just above the arch? If so they are blind rivets, need to drill the old ones out and get replacements from ford!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts