Ford Mondeo ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Right now I have your attention.

I've been trying to pin down some accurate data on the ST220 and it's production, what's different, colours and the likes.

Production numbers for specific colours would take an age to work out (I would have to check about 1.5 million VIN's), however I do know that the 220 was available in any standard Mk3 colour and only the 220 was available in PB and Infra Red. Later on the IR was dropped and the PB was available for the ST TDCi too.

Leather came in 3 colours, Ebony (Black), Light Graphite (Greyish) which changed to Light Flint Interior from June 2003 and Infra Red.

Sorry PSB Spanny Ink Blue isn't as rare as you would like to think, whilst searching found plenty of Ink Blue ones (not to be confused to State Blue of which there are very few) and not that many were SPO prep'ed (Police spec).

As for saloons. Well there are more ST220 saloons than estates (by about 4!!!) it's the TDCi ST Saloon that is the rare one.

So here goes, as of 31 Mar 2012 according to a DVLA FOI the following in increasing numbers are.....

391 - TDCI ST Saloons
596 - ST220 Estates
600 - ST220 Saloons
1751 - TDCi ST Estates
3433 - ST220 Hatchbacks
8095 - TDCi ST Hatchbacks

So now whats so unique about the 220, the following info is from a Ford TSB. Well I will summarise (to avoid copy right issues you know);

Like its predecessor the ST200, the ST220 is available as a 4/5-door version and as an estate. Externally the differences to the base model are mainly in the sporty front and rear aprons, rocker panel plastic trim and rear spoiler. Further features are new 18 inch light alloy wheels and polished tailpipes on the exhaust system.

Other differing features are:

1. A 3.0L Duratec VE-engine: A 3.0L Duratec-VE engine is installed in the ST220, power of 166kW (226 PS) at 6150 rev/min max torque is 280 Nm at 4900 rev/min. The attainable top speed is over 150mph for the 4/5-door version, and slightly less for the estate.

2. Re-worked MTX-75 manual transmission (6-speed came later).

3. Heat shields on the generator, the steering gear and the catalytic converters and a specially heat resistant generator.

4. Because of the prevailing thermal conditions in the engine compartment of the ST220, the gases produced by the battery are taken directly from the battery and led out of the engine compartment. The engine under shield has an additional hole on the left-hand side of the vehicle, through which this hose is passed to the outside.

5. The chassis has been modified to meet the increased demands. It has been lowered by 15 mm at the front and rear and has been uprated. This is achieved by the use of shorter, harder springs combined with tighter shock absorber specification. Shorter link rods are used between the suspension strut and the stabiliser bar on the rear axle of the 4/5-door versions as a result of the lowering of the chassis.

6. The ST220 is equipped as standard with newly developed 18 inch light alloy wheels with a 16 spoke design and 225/40 R 18 tyres.

7. The passenger compartment has been revised and is characterised by its exclusive and high quality equipment. The instrument cluster from the base model has been carried over with some modifications to the design. The instruments have silver coloured backgrounds and the range of the speedometer and tachometer have been increased.

8. The ST220 is equipped as standard with heated sports seats by Recarro, based on the standard equipment seat frames. They offer improved side support and feature an adjustable lumbar support for the lower back area. The sports seats are leather covered and available in Ebony, Light Graphite or Infra Red colours. The driver's seat is optionally available as a 2+2 way seat or an 8 way seat. In addition to the electrical height adjustment of the 2+2 way seat, the 8 way seat offers electrical adjustment forwards and backwards, angle of the seat cushion and angle of the seat back.

3.0L Duratec-VE engine

Based on the familiar 2.5L Duratec-VE engine, the 3.0L Duratec-VE engine gives 166 kW (226 PS) at 6150 rev/min. The maximum torque is 280 Nm at 4900 rev/min.

The engine block is made of cast aluminium and is horizontally divided at the level of the 4 main bearings. The lower half of the crankcase is laid out in a ladder frame layout, into which the main bearing caps are also integrated. This design improves the rigidity of the crankcase.

The cylinder heads feature four valves per cylinder, which are actuated by the camshaft via roller cam followers. The roller cam followers run on hydraulic compensators which automatically adjust the valve clearance. Accordingly, no adjustments are necessary.

In addition to its increased capacity, the following modifications all contribute to the increased performance of the engine:

Revised camshafts with greater valve lift and optimised valve timing,

Improved air flow due to the revised intake routing,

Modified fuel system with a higher operating pressure (4,5 bar) and an increased delivery rate (80 l/min max.)

Revised calibration of the engine management system.

Exhaust System - General Information

The exhaust system of the ST220 is a completely new design. It offers lower exhaust back pressure, which increases the flow of exhaust gas and therefore contributes to improved performance. Because of the design of the new exhaust system, the exhaust note is more sporty than that of the Mondeo ST200. With the exception of the rear exhaust manifold, it is made entirely of stainless steel. Because of the different body structures, the exhaust systems for the wagon and 4/5-door variants differ starting from the front silencer.

On both body variants the exhaust system consists of two exhaust manifolds, two catalytic converters, each variant having a front and intermediate silencer and two end silencers with polished tail pipes.

The exhaust system of the ST220 is a single unit in production, from the front silencer to the tail pipes. The relevant sections are available as part replacements in service.

Well that's it folks, according to Ford/DVLA any way!

·
The Original Pea Shooter Boy!
2,349 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do that pal
interesting reading bar u saying ink blue isn't rare
lol

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't be to dis-heartened, I'm still crunching numbers and I have found quite a few Infra Reds, but the standard colours are few and far between. I don't know who owns the Machine Silver car but it's the only one I have found so far.

In fact Infra Red is looking quite common in the early days.

·
Paul P.I.
2,826 Posts
Don't be to dis-heartened, I'm still crunching numbers and I have found quite a few Infra Reds, but the standard colours are few and far between. I don't know who owns the Machine Silver car but it's the only one I have found so far.

In fact Infra Red is looking quite common in the early days.
I'm certain that the majority of infra reds were hatchbacks but that's only based on the number I've seen compared to the saloons and estates.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm certain that the majority of infra reds were hatchbacks but that's only based on the number I've seen compared to the saloons and estates.
Ooooo, were and what data have you got Paul?

I have seen more IR Saloons for sale than hatches and estates.

·
Paul P.I.
2,826 Posts
It's only what I've seen on eBay and autotrader over the last few months Neil so nothing official, I suppose will never know exactly figures just can only make an assumption on how often a particular one turns up, but could still be a wildly wrong assumption.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't see me plowing through 5 years worth of Mondeos to find the answer. One and half years of Mk2's was hard enough to find the 200's

Shame as I'm one of those that would like to know!

·
Paul P.I.
2,826 Posts
I would love to know as well Neil, but as you say going through 5 years worth of Mondeo's would be a mammoth task, the only other way is by one of the companies that hold this data but would be expensive to find out once you get down to this level of detail.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to know as well Neil, but as you say going through 5 years worth of Mondeo's would be a mammoth task, the only other way is by one of the companies that hold this data but would be expensive to find out once you get down to this level of detail.
600 + beer tokens!!!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Well done for digging all that out for is Neil. Interesting reading

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where do you get this data from anyway Neil and what format was it in for the 200's that you reported on for example?
I used a combination of a copy of Micro Cat (in my friendly garage and a sometimes blocked Russiian website) and ETIS on line. Also a FOI request to DVLA was asked for last year for the number of Mondeo ST's that are taxed, hence why I know it would be £600+ to get the info with the colour option and "howmanyleft.com".Put it all together and voila "data for ST200 production was born". All I did was drag it all together and typed it out by hand into an Excel Spreadsheet!!!!

·
Paul P.I.
2,826 Posts
Tis a huge job just to do that lol, if it didn't involve so much then I'd probably be interested in having a pop at doing a breakdown for the Mk3 ST's just to stop everyone wondering lol, but would need a full list of Mk3 VIN's, and a hell of a lot of time! lmao

1 - 20 of 336 Posts