Ford Mondeo ST Forum banner

281 - 300 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Neil, just seen this group via the st220 enthusiasts page on Facebook and would like to know a bit more about my car if possible? LJ53ZFG/66957
Many thanks if you can find the info.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Of course you can @oli6133, but please note that if there is an error in Ford's data that is found after today, then the information given might be affected.

6375th ST220 off the production line by VIN order, built 19.09.2003 and 1st registered 21.10.2003.

That makes her the 2636th ST220 Hatchback;

Great Britain's 1817th ST220

and Great Britain's 1328th ST220 Hatchback.

With Paint she becomes; The 94th Machine Silver ST220;

the 49th Machine Silver ST220 Hatchback;

Great Britain's 44th Machine Silver ST220

and Great Britain's 32nd Machine Silver Hatchback.

With Paint and trim we get; The 65th Machine Silver ST220 with Ebont Interior;

the 33rd Machine Silver ST220 Hatchback with Ebiny Interior;

Great Britain's 31st Machine Silver ST220 with Ebony Interior

and Great Britain's 22nd Machine Silver ST220 Hatchback with Ebony Interior.

2 tables to help you work out the totals for each category listed above.

Total Sumary.jpg Ultimate ST220 Build Table Machine Silver.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Neil, just joined the forum and been reading through, great work btw, was wondering if you could give me a little information on my new toy, reg EF02NND,any thanks :) ad

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Please note that if there is an error in Ford's data that is found after today, then the information given might be affected.

808th ST220 off the production line by VIN order, built 23.05.2002 and 1st registered 20.06.2002.

That makes her the 390th ST220 Hatchback;

Great Britain's 329th ST220 and

Great Britain's 240th ST220 Hatchback.

With Paint she becomes; The 305th Stardust Silver ST220;

the 123rd Stardust Silver ST220 Hatchback;

Great Britain's 96th Stardust Silver ST220 and

Great Britain's 66th Stardust Silver Hatchback.

With Paint and trim we get; The 193rd Stardust Silver ST220 with Ebony Interior;

the 68th Stardust Silver ST220 Hatchback with Ebony Interior;

Great Britain's 39th Stardust Silver ST220 with Ebony Interior and

Great Britain's 28th Stardust Silver Hatchback with Ebony Interior.

A couple of tables to help you determine the totals of each category.

Ultimate ST220 Build Table Stardust Silver.jpg Ultimate Total Sumary.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right now I have your attention.

I've been trying to pin down some accurate data on the ST220 and it's production, what's different, colours and the likes.

Production numbers for specific colours would take an age to work out (I would have to check about 1.5 million VIN's), however I do know that the 220 was available in any standard Mk3 colour and only the 220 was available in PB and Infra Red. Later on the IR was dropped and the PB was available for the ST TDCi too.

Leather came in 3 colours, Ebony (Black), Light Graphite (Greyish) which changed to Light Flint Interior from June 2003 and Infra Red.

Sorry PSB Spanny Ink Blue isn't as rare as you would like to think, whilst searching found plenty of Ink Blue ones (not to be confused to State Blue of which there are very few) and not that many were SPO prep'ed (Police spec).

As for saloons. Well there are more ST220 saloons than estates (by about 4!!!) it's the TDCi ST Saloon that is the rare one.

So here goes, as of 31 Mar 2012 according to a DVLA FOI the following in increasing numbers are.....

391 - TDCI ST Saloons
596 - ST220 Estates
600 - ST220 Saloons
1751 - TDCi ST Estates
3433 - ST220 Hatchbacks
8095 - TDCi ST Hatchbacks

So now whats so unique about the 220, the following info is from a Ford TSB. Well I will summarise (to avoid copy right issues you know);

Like its predecessor the ST200, the ST220 is available as a 4/5-door version and as an estate. Externally the differences to the base model are mainly in the sporty front and rear aprons, rocker panel plastic trim and rear spoiler. Further features are new 18 inch light alloy wheels and polished tailpipes on the exhaust system.

Other differing features are:

1. A 3.0L Duratec VE-engine: A 3.0L Duratec-VE engine is installed in the ST220, power of 166kW (226 PS) at 6150 rev/min max torque is 280 Nm at 4900 rev/min. The attainable top speed is over 150mph for the 4/5-door version, and slightly less for the estate.

2. Re-worked MTX-75 manual transmission (6-speed came later).

3. Heat shields on the generator, the steering gear and the catalytic converters and a specially heat resistant generator.

4. Because of the prevailing thermal conditions in the engine compartment of the ST220, the gases produced by the battery are taken directly from the battery and led out of the engine compartment. The engine under shield has an additional hole on the left-hand side of the vehicle, through which this hose is passed to the outside.

5. The chassis has been modified to meet the increased demands. It has been lowered by 15 mm at the front and rear and has been uprated. This is achieved by the use of shorter, harder springs combined with tighter shock absorber specification. Shorter link rods are used between the suspension strut and the stabiliser bar on the rear axle of the 4/5-door versions as a result of the lowering of the chassis.

6. The ST220 is equipped as standard with newly developed 18 inch light alloy wheels with a 16 spoke design and 225/40 R 18 tyres.

7. The passenger compartment has been revised and is characterised by its exclusive and high quality equipment. The instrument cluster from the base model has been carried over with some modifications to the design. The instruments have silver coloured backgrounds and the range of the speedometer and tachometer have been increased.

8. The ST220 is equipped as standard with heated sports seats by Recarro, based on the standard equipment seat frames. They offer improved side support and feature an adjustable lumbar support for the lower back area. The sports seats are leather covered and available in Ebony, Light Graphite or Infra Red colours. The driver's seat is optionally available as a 2+2 way seat or an 8 way seat. In addition to the electrical height adjustment of the 2+2 way seat, the 8 way seat offers electrical adjustment forwards and backwards, angle of the seat cushion and angle of the seat back.

3.0L Duratec-VE engine

Based on the familiar 2.5L Duratec-VE engine, the 3.0L Duratec-VE engine gives 166 kW (226 PS) at 6150 rev/min. The maximum torque is 280 Nm at 4900 rev/min.

The engine block is made of cast aluminium and is horizontally divided at the level of the 4 main bearings. The lower half of the crankcase is laid out in a ladder frame layout, into which the main bearing caps are also integrated. This design improves the rigidity of the crankcase.

The cylinder heads feature four valves per cylinder, which are actuated by the camshaft via roller cam followers. The roller cam followers run on hydraulic compensators which automatically adjust the valve clearance. Accordingly, no adjustments are necessary.

In addition to its increased capacity, the following modifications all contribute to the increased performance of the engine:

Revised camshafts with greater valve lift and optimised valve timing,

Improved air flow due to the revised intake routing,

Modified fuel system with a higher operating pressure (4,5 bar) and an increased delivery rate (80 l/min max.)

Revised calibration of the engine management system.

Exhaust System - General Information

The exhaust system of the ST220 is a completely new design. It offers lower exhaust back pressure, which increases the flow of exhaust gas and therefore contributes to improved performance. Because of the design of the new exhaust system, the exhaust note is more sporty than that of the Mondeo ST200. With the exception of the rear exhaust manifold, it is made entirely of stainless steel. Because of the different body structures, the exhaust systems for the wagon and 4/5-door variants differ starting from the front silencer.

On both body variants the exhaust system consists of two exhaust manifolds, two catalytic converters, each variant having a front and intermediate silencer and two end silencers with polished tail pipes.

The exhaust system of the ST220 is a single unit in production, from the front silencer to the tail pipes. The relevant sections are available as part replacements in service.

Well that's it folks, according to Ford/DVLA any way!
2017, July, four years later, you're getting my attention ;-) Sorry for being late !

Actually, I bought an ST220 Estate, black, 6 gears/xenon/8 ways seats, gray heating seats, with ... if I remember well, something like 65000km on the odometer. From Germany. That was back in 2010 I believe. Now, she shows, well, more than 140.000km, but I'm still pretty happy with the car. In need for fixing airco & some power steering leakage, but all in all, only good experience with it.

Time is coming to think about what to do with a ~150.000 km car. Shall we drive it till it really breaks down ? Shall we sell it for a misery because no-one will want to buy a car that is, hey, hum, little thirsty ? I'm attached to the lady. I'm now looking for an excuse to keep her and covet her.

Started thinking of, well, when was it already the last time that I saw another ST220 estate ?

Shoe, not sure, but maybe I never ever encountered another one ! I crossed some saloons, sure of that, maybe two or three, but an estate, ... ?????

So, looking for figures, found that topic, and read ... 596 units.

Are you kidding me ? Is this for UK and RHD only or what ????

Please let me know the split RHD/LHD, world wide, if ever you have this !

Now, going to go through the remaining 20 pages.

Cheers folks !

Emmanuel

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
That's 596 for the UK, I will let you read the full thread to find the answers you are looking for :nice:

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's 596 for the UK, I will let you read the full thread to find the answers you are looking for :nice:
Yes, read all of it ! Thank you so much for all the efforts !

So, my car would be 1 of 4182 Estates, or 1 of the 3477 LHD (did you count the german LHD as in RoW ?!!).

Or 1 of the 1716 LHD ST220 second series, if we can call them this way.

With half-leather and full facelift including red stiching, but who really cares about it, from a ... population sorting point of view.

Color does not make mine a rarer piece, since she's black !

So, not that rare, but I like the idea that they took two of these engines to make the V12 of the Vanquish. And that it's in the Noble too.

Motivated to keep it :)

Thanks a lot for your efforts. I understand there was a carrot for you in there, your color is amongst the rarest, right ?

Congrats !

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Due to the, erm, carelessness of American Jaywalkers, they have much larger and softer bumper arrangements, so they never had the 220 on their roads. They had things like the Mystic/Contour/Crown Vic and then from 2006 the Fusion/Lincoln.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What surprised me about the 220 is for a 3ltr it's only 220hp I had a Saab aero and T5 years ago which were 2.0 and 2.3 and were 225 standard till I got the T5 mapped (Rica). Ford should have beefed it up only they know why it wasn't.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
I believe so.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
@madmanxman

Please note that if there is an error in Ford's data that is found after today, then the information given might be affected.

12416th ST220 off the production line by VIN order, built 24.11.2005 and 1st registered 14.12.2005.

That makes her the 5632nd ST220 Hatchback

Great Britain's 4609th ST220

and Great Britain's 3412nd ST220 Hatchback.

With Paint she becomes; The 3898th Performance Blue ST220

the 2031st Performance Blue ST220 Hatchback;

Great Britain's 1831st Performance Blue ST220

and Great Britain's 1389th Performance Blue ST220 Hatchback.

With Paint and trim we get; The 550th performance Blue ST220 with Light Flint Interior;

the 297th Performance Blue ST220 Hatchback with Light Flint Interior;

Great Britain's 276th performance Blue ST220 with Light Flint Interior

and Great Britain's 202nd Performance Blue ST220 Hatchback with Light Flint Interior.

Ultimate Total Sumary.jpg Ultimate ST220 Build Table Performance Blue.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
@jackl86

6256th ST220 off the production line by VIN order, built 03.09.2003 and 1st registered 16.09.2003.

That makes her the 1434th ST220 Hatchback

Great Britain's 1775th ST220

and Great Britain's 276th ST220 Hatchback.

With Paint she becomes; The 80th Machine Silver ST220

the 16th Machine Silver ST220 Saloon;

Great Britain's 36th Machine Silver ST220

and Great Britain's 7th Machine Silver ST220 Hatchback.

With Paint and trim we get; The 20th Machine Silver ST220 with Infra Red Interior;

the 5th Machine Silver Blue ST220 Saloon with Infra Red Interior;

Great Britain's 7th Machine Silver ST220 with Infra Red Interior

and Great Britain's 2nd Machine Silver ST220 Saloon with Infra Red.

Ultimate Total Sumary.jpg Ultimate ST220 Build Table Machine Silver.jpg

Attachments

281 - 300 of 336 Posts